Saturday, February 18, 2017

The busy life of an Ag teacher

 
Busy week, but a good week. I got to start a unit that I am really excited about and I think that the students are pretty excited about as well: orchard management. I really love trees and especially fruit trees. It requires a lot of time and patience to grow fruit trees but it is highly rewarding to see a tree grow and produce flowers and fruit. This week we did a lab on grafting which I was a little unsure about as it is somewhat dangerous and requires a lot of skill to do it right. Overall, I thought it was a success. I learned some things that I will do differently the next time for sure but I had a good time and the students did as well.
 
With the introduction to agriculture courses we made some soap, which I had never done before but the students had done before. I was impressed with their ability to work efficiently and collaborate with one another. This is one of the many projects that the student work on to raise money for the chapter.


 


Actually, as I am writing this I am sitting in a hotel lobby as we are attending an agricultural conference with a group of students. I admit that I was not really looking forward to spending my weekend chaperoning students and going to workshops, but honestly, so far, it has been a great experience. It is really good to see students have fun and form friendships with each other.






This upcoming week I am excited to start the "Great Grow Along" unit which will teach students how to use the scientific method to conduct biomedical research using rats. It is a curriculum that was written by my current cooperating teacher and it seems awesome.








2 comments:

  1. Michael,
    Thanks for sharing. I would encourage you to consider selecting one theme and digging deeply in the weekly blog as opposed to trying to cover everything...for example: the Orchard Tree Unit. Questions that pop into my mind:
    1_ how are you going to transfer your enthusiasm to the students?
    2_ how do we make this "real" to them..what local examples can we point to?
    3_ how are you going to ensure safe practice? what best practices/interventions have you implemented?
    4_how do you engage all students effectively in a lab management situation?

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michael,

    I agree with Dr. Foster. This was a great overview but "dig deeper" into a specific topic and share how you grow/will grow from the experience. Keep up the good work, and I look forward to visiting soon.

    Dr. Ewing

    ReplyDelete