Thursday, September 22, 2016

Interest Approaches and Grafting

This week we learned about interest approaches or anticipatory sets. The purpose on interest approaches is to guide students into the new lesson by having them recall past information. It is not a review but a strategy used for the students to see how what they learned and what they are about to learn will tie in together.

I am learning a lot of right now and it is difficult to manage all of the information so I decided to use an interest approach to a subject that I feel confident in as opposed to a content area that I would have to learn and then learn to teach. I decided to teach about grafting from the propagation unit in the horticulture course. And to be honest, I am pretty happy with how it went. I feel like the students were engaged, I asked questions that made the students think about what they knew and they were able to arrive pretty close to the answer that I was leading them to answer.


One struggle that I have is gauging the appropriate difficulty level at which to teach. I want it to me challenging and to make the students think hard about what I am asking; however, I don’t want it to be too difficult that they will not be able to completely comprehend what I am teaching. From what I have heard from other teachers is that the cognitive level of students varies widely and changes from year to year as well. I guess that is just another one of those skills that teachers pick up on as they acquire more and more experience: to be able to quickly discern the level of individual students and the class as a whole and adjust the content rigor accordingly.


I will leave you with some links to some great resources about primary and secondary principles of interest (Principles and Practices to Secure and Hold Interest by Kirby Barrick and Andrew Thoron) and a book that I am reading that has some great examples of interest approaches that they call engaging moments (Strategies for Great Teaching by Mark Reardon and Seth Derner, 2008)

And a quote from Dr. Foster that I thought was very true, "the most effective classroom management tool, is an engaging lesson." #KIR

1 comment:

  1. Matthew,

    Oh the infamous interest approach! They can be tricky. In my freshman classes I choose interest approaches based solely on their excitement and felt-need creating capability. You need to "hook" your young students. They love anything that makes them go "wow!" Interest approaches, in my opinion, do not have to be super cognitively engaging in intro classes. It is more important to get them engaged and interested in the lesson. That comes first!
    In my upper level classes I do definitely challenge them with my interest approach. They have a lot of prior knowledge and I tap into that with my interest approach to get them geared up for the day's lesson.

    Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete