Thursday, July 7, 2016

George Couros' "The Innovator's Mindset" Part Two

On to part two of George Couros’ book, “The Innovators Mindset.” The first part of the book outlined what innovation is and what it is not, as well as why it is important. In part two, Couros details how innovation can be used to create an environment of empowerment. There is an emphasis on building relationships and sharing ideas and experiences to both unite people and accelerate innovation.

I was surprised at an experience that Couros recounts that sometimes administrators will not allow a teacher to run with a good idea not because it is risky or may have unknown consequences, but because they fear that other teachers will be expected to do the same thing and possibly add more work or stress to their lives. An example was given of a teacher who created a social media page for the class posted videos, photos, and comments about what the students were learning so that the parents could have a better idea of what their child was doing throughout the day. The administrator denied the teacher from continuing the page as they felt that parents would want other teachers to do the same thing and thus create more work for the other teachers. Couros comments, “The fear that drives leaders is not always about failure. Sometimes, the real fear is of success.” To be honest, I had never thought about this as an obstacle to innovation. I understand that leaders don’t want to create more work and stress for the already very busy teachers, but I think the author makes a perfect argument when he says, “If what is best for our learners is our primary concern, equity of opportunities will be created at the highest levels, not the lowest.” I agree with Couros. The young people that step into our classrooms deserve the best teachers and to stunt teachers’ creativity and desire to create learning experiences that will engage and empower not just the students, but their families and the community, would be a grave disservice to everyone.

Another subject that George Couros writes passionately about, is the difference between engaging students and empowering them. He explains that engagement is getting the learners excited about what is being taught and that is great, but not enough. Couros continues that empowering learners is helping them develop the capacity to pursue their passions, interests and future. It is not enough to entertain the students in our classroom, if after the “show” is over they don’t know how to pursue their own passions and obtain knowledge that is important to them. The authors states that, “It is imperative that we teach learners how to be self-directed and guide their own learning, rather than rely on others to simply engage them.”


I am left with both excitement, to get into the classroom and put into practices what I am reading and what seems to align so closely with my own teaching philosophy, and at the same time doubts, concerning my ability to create an environment, a culture, in which my students have a desire to actively pursue their own interests and become self-directed learners. I suppose that it will come with experience and perseverance. 

8 comments:

  1. In reference to your first paragraph above, I agree with you totally. I want to leave this thought with you. As someone who will be applying for jobs at different school districts in the next year, it is really important to research the school where you are applying. I have taught at four different schools and my professional life and all have been very different. Two were leaders in innovation while two could be more innovative. Professional happiness comes with working in a district that is aligned with your own educational philosophy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been given this a lot of thought, this book has definitely opened my eyes to the importance of having supportive administrators. I'll have to get the scoop from you about districts that are more aligned with my teaching philosophy.

      Delete
  2. Another comment in reference to your first paragraph...some schools require teachers to keep updated websites, our district does not. In remote areas of the state, some families live in communities that do not have access to technology. Websites are very powerful teaching tools as they provide open communication to our students/community about what is going on in the classroom. Sharing success stories is so important. It is an area of personal growth for me. I once was one not to share as I thought it was bragging. As I matured with my craft, telling your story is so important. It educates people about the great things you do. Likewise, the people around you are often too busy to notice, so if you do not share they may not actually know what you do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking about BEAHS and lack of internet access. That is one of the critiques that I have of the book; there is so much emphasis on using technology as innovations when access to technology is not always available.

      The last part of the book really opened my eyes up to the value and importance of sharing. "The biggest winners of this sharing revolution are our students" (p. 179).

      Delete
  3. In reference to your second comment, one of the wonderful things about teaching agriculture is SAE!!! SAE captures everything suggested from the innovative mindset. Develop passion for learning thought the agriculture project based learning experience. Refer to the diagram on page 116. is this not perfect aligned with SAE?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree with you! The more I learn about SAE the more I love it! I really want to focus on helping students create an awesome SAE that they are passionate about.

      Delete
  4. I am so glad I will have the opportunity to work with you. We think a lot like and are willing to take risks to ensure student learning. It will be enjoyable learning from our students and each other.

    ReplyDelete